Stretching: eyes to the sky
Pulling the cervix requires looking up and can help relieve tension in the neck. Cervical spine expansion can also help relieve pain from bulging discs in the neck.
Begin each exercise with your neck in the midline. Your head should be centered, not tilted forward, backward, or to the side. You can do this exercise lying on your back or sitting down.
- Gently tilt your head back so that your eyes look up to "heaven."
- Stop when you feel a stretch in the front of your neck.
- Hold the position for 20 seconds.
- Go back to the starting position.
- Repeat this four more times.
Again, some patients do better with this stretch by moving rhythmically from a stretched to a relaxed position. Your physical professional can help determine the best way to perform this stretch.