Just as humans come in all shapes and sizes, so do their genitals. This means that there are many different penis shapes and sizes that fit well within the normal range.
Here's what you need to know about the different types of penises. While some people have large penises, the truth is that there is not as much difference in size between penises as you think, and on average, penises are smaller than people think. From length to girth, circumcised or uncircumcised, the types of penis are very diverse.
Understand the anatomy of the penis
Before you can begin to compare the penis, it helps to understand the anatomy of the penis . The penis, together with the scrotum , which contains the testicles, constitutes the external male reproductive organ. Of course, not all people with a penis identify as male.
There are four important points to keep in mind when thinking about your penis. Are:
- Urethra : This small tube goes through the center of the penis and ends at the tip. Urine and ejaculation (semen) are transported and released through the urethra.
- Glans : The glans, more commonly known as the glans of the penis, is located at the tip. On an uncircumcised penis, it is covered with the foreskin, except during intercourse. In circumcised people, she is always naked. In most men, the opening to the urethra is in the glans penis.
- Foreskin – This is the sheath of tissue that covers the unchanged glans of the penis. This is also what is removed during circumcision .
- Erectile tissue : Most of the penis is made up of erectile tissue. There are two types of erectile tissue: the corpus cavernosum and the corpus spongiosum. Most of the time, this tissue has empty pouches, but when a person is aroused, these pouches fill with blood and cause an erection.
It is also helpful to consider the terms that people use when talking about the appearance of the penis. This includes:
- Length : The length of the penis is generally measured from the pubic bone to the tip of the glans along the top of the penis. If you have fat around your pubic bone, you may need to apply gentle pressure to get a more accurate measurement.
- Circumference : Girth is the measurement of the circumference of the erect penis.
- Curve : refers to the direction in which the penis points when it is erect.
Many people with penises are concerned about how their penis compares to other people's. Research shows that about half of men would like to have a bigger penis.
If you are concerned about the size of your penis, it can help to understand what the usual penis size is and how rare a large penis is.
A study of more than 15,500 men from around the world found that penis size does not vary much. Although the researchers used data from around the world, most of the research focused on Caucasian men, and the researchers called for more work to investigate possible differences in penis length between races.
The researchers found that the average length of a flaccid penis was 3.61 inches and the average length of an erect penis was 5.16 inches.
This is significant, as most men think that the average erect penis is over 6 inches long. This is probably due to the fact that in porn, which many people use to compare their penis to others, male performers have very large penises.
The truth about average penis size
The truth is that it is rare to have a large or small penis – only 5% of men have an erect penis greater than 6.3 inches and only 5% have an erect penis less than 4 inches. The same study of more than 15,500 men found the average flaccid girth to be 3.66 inches. The average girth of an erect penis is 4.59 inches.
While most people think that an erect penis should be erect or erect, the truth is that an erect penis very often bends slightly. The penis can be bent to the right or to the left, up or down.
However, if your penis suddenly starts to curve, you should see your doctor. You should also seek medical attention if your curved penis begins to hurt or interferes with sexual function. There are rare conditions that can contribute to penile curvature, including:
- Peyronie's disease : It is caused by minor trauma and inflammation of the penis over time. This can lead to curvature of the penis and loss of strength and make erection difficult.
- Hypospadias : This is a congenital defect, because the opening of the urethra is more along the penis and not along the head. Hypospadias can occur with or without curvature of the penis, in which the penis bends downward. Both conditions can be treated with surgery.
Circumcised and uncircumcised penis
One of the main differences in the appearance of the penis is between circumcised and uncircumcised penises. During circumcision, the foreskin is removed.
- In people with an uncircumcised penis , the glans penis is often closed, except during the period of sexual arousal. Since it is usually covered, it is normal for there to be moisture on the glans of the uncircumcised penis.
- If the penis is circumcised , the foreskin is removed and the glans is usually dry in texture and appearance.
Circumcision rates in the United States are declining as more people object to a procedure that is not medically necessary. In the United States, 55% to 65% of baby boys are circumcised and the rest are not.
Get the word of drug information
The appearance of your penis is very intimate and personal. It's perfectly normal to wonder how your penis compares to other people's. This can be especially frustrating when compared to unrealistic images like pornography.
Most men have penises of the same length and girth. Exceptions to penis size are very rare. It is also perfectly normal to have a curvature of the penis, although if your penis suddenly begins to curve, it is a good idea to speak with your doctor.
One of the biggest differences in penis types in the United States is between circumcised and uncircumcised penises. If you look different from your friends or siblings, this is probably the reason. As the number of circumcisions declines, nearly half of the babies born are uncircumcised.
If you are concerned about the type or appearance of your penis, talk to a doctor you can trust. Remember that, like the rest of your body, variation is normal and it is best not to compare yourself to others.