Canned food with salt is an ancient human practice that goes back to the written records. The resisted meat, the gherkin and smoked salmon are examples of general products that are stored with salt.But the salted products are really safe,Eat? How is salt compared as a preservative with other food security methods?
SALE as a preservative
SAL was usedAs a preservative for centuries, and work to save food in two ways:
- Food dry salt. Salt attracts water from food and dehydrated.All living creatures require water and can not grow in the absence of this, including bacteria that can lead to what can cause fuel poisoning .The salt is used to preserve beef by Ickka, keeping it dry, and avoids torture with oil, throwing the water, leaving only fat.
- Salt kills microbes. High salt is toxic to most microbes (not all) due to the effect of osmolarity or water pressure. Dry between cells in the middle, so that the concentration of solutions (as salt) is the same on both sides of the cell.In very high saline solutions many microbes will break due to the difference within the pressure between the outside and the inside of the body. High salt can also be toxic to internal microbes processes that affect DNA and enzymes.Highly sugar solutions also have the same effects on microbes, so it is used as a food preservative, such as jams and jelly.
Incorrect ideas about the conservation of the salt
Many people believe that salted products are more resistant to microbial growth.As a result, they consume doubty products more voluntarily if they have a higher salt content.
Here are the facts.Most bacteria, with the exception of halophilics (lovers of salt bacteria), can not grow under conditions when the salt concentration exceeds 10%. But the forms can withstand even higher levels of salt. Get a salt of 10%, you must dissolve a salt of 180 g in 1800 g of water, which is approximately equivalent to 1 cup dissolved in 7.5 vessels of water.
How is a salt salt salt? Have you ever swallowed water accidentally when you bathe in the ocean? Sea water is 3.5% salt. Imagine that drinking marine water, which is three times the Saver.
What products have enough salts (10%) to stop the growth of bacteria?
Here is a list of product products that many people will take into account salted.The percentage of salt is calculated by dividing the total weight of the food by weight of salt. The following nutritional information was obtained using the food database calorieking .
- 1, serving McDonalds FRIES french (medium): 260 mg / 117 g = 0.2% salt
- 1 serving Doritos, flavor cheese Nacho: 314 mg / 48 g = 0.7% salt
- 1 Serving Campbells Chicken Noodle Soup (condensate): 1,779 mg / 252 R = 0.7% Salt
Please have nothing at all being close to the cut of a 10% salt to avoid the growth of bacteria.Alternatively, canned salt products that are dried, such as beef, or require cooling after opening, as cherry or cured ham.
Salmueras and condiments
It is known that the brines and condiments have a high salt content,But if they correspond to the requirements of a 10% salt to inhibit the growth of bacteria?
- 1 ketchup package: 100 mg / 8.5 g = 1.1% salt
- 1 lot mustard: 65 mg / 5.67 g = 1.1% salt
- 1 Soy sauce package: 333 mg / 5.67 g = 5.8% Salt
then, even soy sauce is not salted enough to prevent the growth of bacteria.Why can it be saved not envied? Since soy sauce does not have other essential ingredients necessary for the growth of microbials, such as proteins or carbohydrates, there is little risk, leaving it at your counter.
Traditionally saved salt
It is still that we list the products that are known to come out, but are generally not the products in which we consider salt,The reason why food can be eaten safely. What about the products that are traditionally considered salt salt salt?
- 1 dill: 306 mg / 34 g = 0.9% salt
- 1 pc.443 mg / 20 g = salt of 2.2%
- 1 slice ham: 365 mg / 9.3 g = 3.9% salt
Even with traditional canned salt, it does not meet the requirements of salt 10 % to stop the growth of microbial media.But the additional functions about these products, such as dehydration (sudden beef) or the addition of acid (salinity) or preservatives, help prevent damage.In addition, many canned salt products require cooling after opening it to reduce the speed of the growth of microbial media.
For most foods, the answer is no, the highest salt concentration does not help save your food if you do not want you to risk finding the Sodium . Most of the products listed above have salt levels of less than 4% (with the exception of the soy sauce).
The highest salt can help bacteria grow
Do you know that bacteria grow better in salty conditions than most of the products we consume ? LaboratoriesScientists, where bacteria are cultivated regularly for experiments, a Brother of LB or Luria, for optimal growth of bacteria is used.What is the concentration of LB salts? This is 1% or approximately salinity of salt dill. Salt inlet -Public health problem )
Even if the salt was a good preservative, it will be a good idea? It is believed that the salt content in the western diet contributes to poor health, including kidney disease.From heart disease to autoimmune disease, to an osteoporosis , learn why you can choose a salted agitator to live longer.
Salt of this article
It seems that there are enough evidence that the salted products are not worthy microbes.That said, someone asks these questions and studies the safety of food products, is a very wise consumer. Angry poisoning is distributed.The centers for the control and prevention of diseases and prevention (CDC) are evaluated that annually 48 million people (1 in 6) are infected with Aphadborne’s disease, 128,000 are hospitalized and 3000 die.
When the salt is not a solution, there are many things you can do to keep food safe. First, practice good safety cuisine .Never use the same cutting board for raw meat and vegetables or fruits.Buy a lot before life. Even if the food has not expired, if the smell is suspected, tirry it. Keep aware of the news to listen to any flashes of food poisoning.Avoid pasteurized milk to reduce the risk of developing milk infections .
Fresh products quickly after use and use of safe practice to store food. Thermal food carefully climbing.It is important to keep in mind that even heating can sometimes lead to food poisoning. Some bacteria, such as Stafin, produce toxins. While bacteria die in heating, toxins heat up stable and save.Finally, learn to recognize signs and symptoms of food poisoning for food poisoning and talk with your health care provider if you do not feel well.